Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Kick Off

Jan 29, 2013

A long time ago, back in my MySpace days, I used to blog semi-regularly.  The purpose was largely to amuse my friends (and more so myself), and sometimes I used it just to vent.  Also, it was a great way to document great stories about my kids that I may have forgotten in time otherwise.  It's fun to go back and read those blogs.

A lot has changed since those days.  My kids are bigger.  Two are adults.  Five boys live in my house.  I'm still a mother, a daughter, a sister, an aunt, a friend, and an in-law.  I'm still a chef, shopper, chauffeur, nurse, teacher, entertainer and counselor. Now, I can add mother-in-law to the already long and demanding list. 

And, in 2012, my heart was ripped from my chest, twice, when my "babies" were diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes 5 months apart.  Due to a family history, diabetes was always on the radar, but we hoped we'd dodge that bullet like everyone else in the extended family seemed to have.  Being educated and being a nurse did not soothe the sting any less when the words were uttered to me, "Get him to the hospital now!"

Now, as I approach the one-year anniversary of Aiden's diagnosis, D-Day as we call it in the Type 1 world, I've decided to write again.  Mainly, it's an outlet.  I hope to educate others about Type 1 Diabetes and give a glimpse of what it's like to manage this disease day to day....times two.  I hope to entertain...and vent. Perhaps having an inside glimpse will help others understand and motivate them to help in our crusade to find a cure for my babies' disease!   I hope that this will reach someone(s) out there who just needs to know they're not alone, or that there is always someone who has it harder than you do! 

So, I'll start by reposting a couple of my favorite old blogs.  Feel free to share this with blog with your family and friends. Feel free to comment. 

Hold onto your seats.  Let my journey begin.

1 comment: