Sunday, May 18, 2014

Diabetes Blog Challenge Day 6: Saturday Snapshots

Diabetes Snapshots



Saturday Snapshots - Saturday 5/17 . 
Back for another year, let’s show everyone what life with diabetes looks like!  With a nod to the 
Diabetes 365 project
, let’s grab our cameras again and share some more d-related pictures.  Post as many or as few as you’d like.  Feel free to blog your thoughts on or explanations of your pictures, or leave out the written words and let the pictures speak for themselves.


In a previous blog, __Hidden Diabetes in Pictures__, I shared pictures of my boys.  It was one of the more tearful blogs I have written seeing how innocent they were before Diabetes, how unknown the storm was that brewed in their bodies.

A little late (as I have been all week...work schedule and computer virus impeded my blogging), I am answering the blog week challenge for Diabetes Snapshots.  Instead of recollecting how things were before Mr. Diabetes plopped his big butt in the middle of our lives, this blog is about the daily grind. 

In a perfect world, other D-parents will feel a little more “normal” and those who do not live with Diabetes will learn a little and perhaps be inclined to Walk with us or donate to our cause!


Now I begin…
Every time we check a blood sugar, I record the results on these clipboards...one for each boy.  I average, look for patterns, and decide how to adjust to Mr. Diabetes ever-changing rules in this game.  Pink pisses me off; yellow worries me.  As you can see, obviously my emotions stay on a roller coaster!



 
Once I wake the boys up for school, I set up their supplies to check their sugars.


Tiny fingers, drops of blood.  Every day, 6 to 12 times per day.


After checking sugars, counting carbs and dosing insulin, we get to eat our breakfasts.


This is the inside of their D-kits that have to go everywhere with them.  When they eat, I get their kits ready for school. So, on top of book, binders and backpacks, my boys carry a kit that holds all the essentials to keep them alive!

A small selection of ALL the supplies that are used EVERY. DAY. to keep my boys healthy and alive.  If they aren't used daily, they are required to keep for emergencies.  All of this is easily $2500 worth of stuff, and there is more unpictured.

Omnipod insulin pumps...in action on a cute little thigh!  Not sure what we're going to do when puberty hits and they get wicked hairy!


Diabetes trash everywhere


Despite the crappiness of dealing with Mr. Diabetes day in and day out...I get to keep my babies.  They are alive and well and can dig in the mud!


After a busy day at school and play, we rest.  Now, Mommy and Daddy get to figure out who is who in the night!

 
Support us in the JDRF One Walk.  www2.jdrf.org/goto/FuseAATeam
 
 
Rhonda





 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment