Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Diabetes Blog Challenge, Day #2 Wildcard: Dream Device


Diabetes Blog Day #2

Tuesday May 14, 2013

Wildcard:  Dream Device

It would be so easy to say, “A New Pancreas”.  I mean, really?  Can’t they make a mechanical pancreas like they make a mechanical heart?  But, I’ll get a bit more creative.

My dream device would be a Continuous Glucose Monitor (CGM)-like device that would tell us what the glucose not only currently looks like, but will look like in the next few hours after a meal.  My Crystal Ball Glucose Monitor! It would have to be a “smart device” where we plug in what the meal was, what amount of carbs were, what amount of insulin was given.  Then, it could tell me over the course of the next 4-8 hours what the circulating glucose level would be.  That way, I could know when to give more insulin and how much.  With that device, I could know whether I could sleep through the 0200 am check or get up.  With this device, I could relax a bit instead of continually analyze my child for signs of low or high sugar.  Maybe, I could take one of these weights off of my shoulders.

Second device:  Laser glucose tester.  It’s very disheartening to see little black dots on my babies’ tiny fingers.  I poke their toes at night just to give their fingers a break.  How about a device that I just wave over their arm that could measure circulating glucose levels?  You know?  Kind of like the black light when you get the stamp to return to the park at Six Flags.  Yeah!  Like that.

Until a cure is found, those are my two dream devices.

Rhonda

1 comment:

  1. Ooooohhh! I love the laser idea! How awesome would that be?

    ReplyDelete